The Mysts of Time
In a concept album as large and the Island of Saints and Scholars itself, Áine Minogue explores the history of Celtic spirituality through music. The Mysts of Time: Chants and Melodies of the Ageless Celtic Lands is the result of her intense personal quest to discover the essence of the Irish spirit, with its rich and varied relationship to the divine.
"There is a large gap between Enya albums, and Áine Minogue fills it capably. She has a fragile, lilting voice that wraps around the mostly Gaelic lyrics like a gently windblown satin sheet. Lushly arranged, this mix of traditional tunes and originals is performed by some of the best players on the new acoustic music scene." BILLBOARD MAGAZINE
“This delicate and "mysty" album, subtitled Chants and Melodies of the Ageless Celtic Lands, intertwines the foggy heath with a church alcove. Aine (pronounced On-ya) interprets plainsong, traditional Celtic religious and secular as well as originals honoring Brigit.
Accompanied by guitar, cello, tabla, fiddle, oboe, bodrhan, mandolin, Irish pipes and a wonderfully rich chorus, her harp and vocal music is lush yet airy, a very lovely feast.” CD UNIVERSE
ALBUM CREDITS Áine Minogue: Vocals, harp, harmonies, percussion William Coulter: Guitar Alasdair Halliday: Vocals and harmony vocals Barry Phillips: Cello, tabla (drum), keyboards Steve Schuch: Fiddle and fiddle arrangements Patrick Hutchinson: Irish pipes, Mance Grady: Bodhrán Shelley Phillips: Oboe, English Horn Paul Machlis: Keyboards Gerry Putnam: Mandolin Klila: Unison vocal (Puer Natus and Christe Redemptor) Scott Trible: Unison vocal (Puer Natus) John Hazen: Unison vocal (Puer Natus)
All music published by Little Miller Music (BMI) for Aine Minogue.
Kyrie Eleison, An Ghloir, An Phaidir
Mal Bhan Ni Chuilionain
The Mysts of Time
Puer Natus in Bethlehem
BIBLIOGRAPHY FROM JOHN O DONOHUE (pre-Retreat readings)
Embers by Sandor Maria
The Way of Paradox by Meister Eckhart
Sermons and Treatises by Meister Eckhart
The Revelation of Divine Love by Julian of Norwich
The Foundations of the Christian Faith by Karl Rahner
The Prophetic Imagination by Waleter Bruggemann
QUESTIONS AND READING LIST FROM JOHN O’DONOHUE
1. Moment of illumination
2. What would you like to see from your death bed? What is there that you don’t want? What is not there that you do?
3. Write a letter to your heart.
4. What are the seven thoughts that shape your world?
5. What are the other seven I never even thought of?
6. What have my chosen seven kept me from thinking?
7. What are the seven feelings that these seven thoughts are dancing to?
8. What do I want from my life?
9. What is the significance of what my soul tells me?
10. What am I at now that I should stop?
11. What is the new thing my heart would love?
12. How can I become truly aware of my great beauty?
13. List of words you always revert to.
14. At least ten words which never come near you.
15. What is my concept of God?
16. Which tradition do I belong to spiritually?
17. How much of me is in it?
18. What can I reawaken in or retrieve from it to address the complexity of my present longing?
19. Who are the inner friends of your heart?
20. Whom do you shelter? For whom are you a friend to the heart?